Friday, November 16, 2007

My Famous Choco-chai

This is slightly complicated, but it tastes so good!

Choco-chai is cocoa + tea + spices + milk

I don't add the cocoa all the time, as I like the taste of plain chai.

To make Choco-chai, add 1-2 heaped table spoons of cocoa to the chai (recipe given below). Please see the previous post (Mocha) for information about the chocolate I use. Feel free to use any chocolate that you prefer.

Here is the recipe for chai:
(makes 2 cups)
You'll need:
1/2 cup water
1 to 2 cups milk (based on your preference, you can add skim, 1%, 2% or 4% milk)
Sugar or Honey
Tea powder/bags (see note 1)
Spices (see note 2)

1. Add the spices to the water and Boil
2. Add the milk when the water is hot (medium heat, this takes at least 8 - 10 minutes)
3. Add 2 table spoons of tea powder or 2-3 bags
4. After 30 seconds, add sugar/honey
5. Mix, pour and drink. (of course, you will have to use a tea strainer if using loose tea leaves).

Note 1: Tea Powder/bags - You can use any high-quality black tea leaves. Ensure that the tea is not stale and is not pre-flavoured.

Note 2: I make my own spice mixture. I usually make small quantities, so that the spices taste fresh.

What you need:
Cardamom - 10 pods (I love cardamom so I add extra. )
Cinnamom - 1/4 inch stick
Clove - 2
(Optionally add any of these spices based on your taste buds: Ginger powder, Black Pepper, Nutmeg, All spice, Star Anise)
Grind all in a coffee grinder until coarse

Suggestion: Initially, please make small quantities of this mixture so that you can try out various combinations.

No comments: